TR4 - Squealing Brakes - Followup and Fix

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 - Squealing Brakes - Followup and Fix
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:37:21 -0400
Listers,

Some of you will recall my request for help many weeks ago.  I had rebuilt my
front suspension and while I was there, I rebuilt the calipers, new
rotors(Italian source), new pads(1997 TRF stock from an autojumble) and new
anti-squeal shims (TRF).  My normally quiet front brakes soon started to make
a very loud chirping sound from about 30 MPH up to 50 MPH. At 60 MPH and
above, the noise seemed to go away. I also noticed that if I applied very
light pressure on the brake pedal.. I could get a steady squeal noise. I found
that the pads were heavily glazed.

If I sanded the face of the pads the noise would go away for about a 100
miles.  Based on list advice, I tried lots of tricks like coating the back of
the pads with an anti-squeal compound. I also tried relieving the leading
edges of the pad material.  I then tried cutting a vertical groove in the face
of the pads as you find in modern brake pads.  This groove is designed to help
the dust escape without being trapped and causing glazing.

None of this stuff worked and I was actually driving the car less because of
the ugly noises.  I finally decided to start swapping parts to isolate the
faulty component.  The easiest first choice was the pads themselves.  I tried
two products from Moss that has completed solved the problem.  It has been 3
weeks now and no noise.

What I did was replace the TRF no-brand pads with the Australian made AXXIS
semi-metallic (585-525 $29.95) pads and I also used their Anti-Squeal Strips
(583-805 $3.30).  The brakes are firm and strong and no hint of squeal noise.

I don't know if these semi-metallic pads have a downside but they do the job.
They took about a half hour to completely settle in... even on the brand new
rotor... but after that the braking was very strong.

This is not anti-TRF complaint.  I bought the TRF pads still new in there TRF
box with the customers name sticker on them from a local parts sale.  But they
were purchased back in 1997 and never used. I have not heard any complaints
here on the list about the TRF pads.

Anybody understand what was going on here?  Do pads get old or pick up
moisture?

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site