RE: Electronic Ignition Question

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition Question
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:14:19 -0700
Kurtis :

IMO the advantages of electronic ignition on an otherwise stock engine are :
1) Reduced need for periodic tuneups (and simplified tuneup)
2) Easier starts, better gas mileage, etc. but only compared to 'tired'
points.  An electronic ignition will generally _not_ perform better than
stock points, on a stock engine in good condition.
3) More forgiving of other mechanical problems, like distributor shaft
wobble and excess oil burning.

I _don't_ see them as being more reliable, mostly because almost any sort of
failure with an electronic system just leaves you stranded on the side of
the road.  Points rarely fail completely, they almost always give you lots
of warning that something is wrong and usually get you home.  They're also a
lot cheaper to replace (or carry a spare).

As far as 'magic', well, IMO points are pretty simple and obvious.  To my
mind, electronic ignitions are more of a "black box".  Even the simplest
electronic ignition has a fair amount of circuitry, behind a big transistor
that acts like points.

But of course, Your Mileage May Vary
Randall
58 TR3A daily driver - with electronic ignition <g>