Re: Electronic Ignition Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Question
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 20:31:54 -0400
Randall writes:

Snip!

>As far as 'magic', well, IMO points are pretty simple and obvious.  To my
>mind, electronic ignitions are more of a "black box".  Even the simplest
>electronic ignition has a fair amount of circuitry, behind a big transistor
>that acts like points.

Yup!  I'm a "points" guy too.  Just started up my Spitfire from a two
year slumber and well, it wouldn't fire.  The culprit of course, was
oxidation on the points.  Three swipes with some 600 wet or dry paper
and the car was purring like a kitten.

Now I know an electronic ignition would not have failed like this but
I still prefer the points.  As the car cranked away without result
there was no question in my mind I'd have the trouble diagnosed in a
matter of minutes.  Not necessarily true with electronic ignition.

For me, it's that simpler, more primitive side of vintage cars that
attracts.  It quite possible for an enthusiast to understand how every
system works on these Triumphs.  You can attain a self-confidence
about keeping these things running that will serve to make you an
entirely annoying person to be around....I love it! <g> Not so with
new cars.

So sometime last year I bought a spare Delco points dizzy for my Spit.
The bushing looks fine in this one, as it does in my original.  I'll
be using points for years to come.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley