Re: Electronic Ignition Question

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Question
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 01 03:08:43 -0700
>For me, it's that simpler, more primitive side of vintage cars that
>attracts.

I couldn't agree more...but

Somthing seems to have happened with the quality of Lucas points over the
last 15 years or so.  It seems that they just go out of adjustment a lot
sooner now than they used to.  Electric timing is critical to how well
and engine runs.  I find the engine s running crappy because of poor
point gap way too often.

It is so tempting to go to the simplest of the electronic ignition
systems and pack a spare module.  Set the timing properly and it just
stays there.  And provides a better spark.

My Land Rover went to electronic timing 2 years ago and I have not
touched the distributor since.  Now that I have some experience with it I
suspect the TR3A will get a Pertonix unit next spring.

I'm taking a strp to the complicated component side for less maintenence
and greater relaibility.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937