Re: Brake Question

To: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Question
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 23:34:46 -0500
There are a few possible causes of disc brakes dragging.

One, as Bob mentioned, is the rubber hose to that caliper swelling
internally as it ages - it restricts fluid flow, and may eventually
fail completely with disastrous results.  Replacement rubber hoses
aren't very expensive, and a set of teflon steel-braided hoses that
will replace all three or four rubber brake hoses on your car can be
had for less than $100.  Putting them in is messy, since brake fluid
will drip everywhere, but otherwise it's not too bad.
To diagnose this problem, I would let the car sit on jackstands for
upwards of an hour without pressing the brake pedal, and see if the
brakes still drag - if they do, this may not be your problem.  If
they don't, it would seem to indicate that the pressure had time to
relieve through the restricted hose - replace the hoses.

A loose wheel bearing could cause this problem, too, as the wheel
(and brake disc) could shift far enough to rub against the brake
pads.  To diagnose this, put the car up on jackstands and grab the
wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.  See if you can move it
appreciably, rocking back and forth.  Some movement may be due to
slop in the suspension bushings - look to see if the suspension
upright is moving with the wheel.  If it is, then the suspension
bushings may be worn.  If the wheel moves significantly, but the
upright does not, then you need to attend to the wheel bearing(s).
You may simply be able to tighten them up, or you may need to replace
them completely.

Another is the pistons in the caliper sticking - normally, they pull
back slightly when you take your foot off the brake pedal and the
spring on the pedal and in the master cylinder push the MC piston
back.  Hardened dust boots around the caliper pistons may cause this;
it could also be dirt and/or corrosion on the surface of the pistons
themselves.  Repairing this is a little more involved, as it requires
removal and partial disassembly of the calipers, but it's still not
too bad.

There may well be other things I'm not thinking of, but these ought
to get you started.  None of them are terribly expensive or
time-consuming to remedy, just messy.

HTH!

Dan

--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - awaiting owner's time and money.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!