TR6 Push Rod

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Push Rod
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
bob wrote:

> A push rod can bend for several reasons, but I believe the most common
> involves a stuck valve and/or a bent valve guide. More than likely, it
> was caused by one of these events.

and Randall wrote:

I'm no professional, and this certainly isn't an expert opinion, but
FWIW I agree with Bob, the most likely explanation is that the valve
guides are a little tight, and a valve temporarily hung up.  If you (or
your mechanic) switched to the popular phosphor-bronze replacement
guides, they should be reamed after installation (unlike the original
cast-iron guides).  The only way to be sure is to tear the engine down
again, and measure the clearance (by measuring the guide i.d. and the
valve stem o.d.).

and Jim adds:

When I bought phosphor bronze guides for the TR3 from Ken Gillanders, he
specifically told me that they needed to be reamed to much greater than modern
tolerances i.e. a looser fit for the valve stem. Maybe this is true for the 6
too; the reason he gave is that there is a lot of cast iron around the guide in
the 3 and the the buildup of heat causes the guides to close in (after about 50
miles?)
Jim