TR6 Tranny Installation edu>

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Tranny Installation edu>
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
Pete et al.,
I used the trick of inserting two ca. 2.5" long 5/16" coarse thread studs
on either side of the central short stud at the top of the block to hang
the transmission on, enabling me to slide it up and then add the short
bolts all round and don't forget new lock washers.  The job of getting the
transmission in line can be simplified by approaching it from inside the
cockpit instead of under the car.  The trick of this seems to be to remove
the driveshaft completely, and then to get the tail end of the
transmission into the tunnel.  Once you have that done it helps to have
place a bar of some sort wedged into the frame members under the car to
support the weight of the tranny until you can jockey it into place on the
studs. I used a U-shaped steel beam about 1.5" cross section and about 2.5
feet long that I pulled out of a dumpster at a demolition site.
-Kevin