Re: BMW Sells British Motor Heritage Ltd.

To: <PeterSchop@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMW Sells British Motor Heritage Ltd.
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:37:57 -0400
> My gut feeling is that this is not a good thing. BMW has the money
> to keep this operation going. Why are they selling it? Is because it is
> not making enought money? If so, how can the Legacy Consortium
> keep it afloat? I hope  that I am wrong.
> Peter Schoppelry

British Motor Heritage has been profitable for a long time, I don't think it
was a matter of BMW keeping it alive.  I think it is a matter of BMW
streamlining it's operations, and getting rid of assets in which it has no
major interest.  Look at MG's turn around, the company is nearly turning a
profit about one year since BMW sold it to John Towers (former Rover head).

We MAY see a connection between the Legacy Consortium and MG Rover again,
after all... it would give the new MG Rover some credibility to it's
heritage, rather than just a modern day producer of hot hatches.  And lets
not forget at the time when BMH had the idea for the MG RV8, it was John
Towers who was in charge at Rover... and who took the RV8 from BMH (as it
was a division of Austin Rover Grp. then) and turned it into the limited
exclusive production car we saw in the early 90s.

I do agree with Harold, I think the operating nature of BMH works better on
a smaller scale.  Afterall, they only produce one run of body shells at
time... and there is no need for them to have separate simultaneous
production lines for MGB, Spridget, TR6 bodyshells; they realised this right
from the start and only build one type of shell at time once enough orders
have been placed by BMH suppliers (such at Moss, TRF, VB).

Don't worry, this is definitely a move for the better...

Kai