Re: BMW Sells British Motor Heritage Ltd.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BMW Sells British Motor Heritage Ltd.
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:40:03 +0100
>That brings up an interesting question.  Did BMW keep the Triumph name and
>other British marque names it held with the sale of BMH?  The only reason
>to do so would be for future potential commercial value (as they're doing
>with the new Mini).  But we've all heard in the past that BMW evaluated the
>TR name and found it to be pretty useless commercially.

AFAIK, BMW kept Triumph & at least one other name. Just before their
announcement regarding Rover, Club Triumph magazine had run (yet
another) story that a 'reliable' source inside BMW had implied that
BMW wanted to use the Triumph name to re-launch the ailing range of
Rover cars. They suggested that this time it really was going to
happen, but by the time I read the article it was already out of
date....

When Rover was bought (was it for ten pounds?) a UK TV news feature
said that the name Triumph had been wanted as part of the deal (for
use on some of the cars produced), but that BMW had been unwilling to
'sell'. I think it was this that sparked off some speculation that
BMW were going to use the name in some way.

I haven't heard a sensible reason why BMW wanted to keep the name,
anyone know of one?
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI