Re: Afternoon Cruise in the Northern PA Hills - TR6

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Afternoon Cruise in the Northern PA Hills - TR6
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:46:50 -0400
>Just got back from 2 hrs of cruisin' the back roads in the northeast PA
>hills.  70 degrees, sunny, top down, the smell of falling leaves and the
>occsional whiff of burning oil from who knows where (somewhere under the
>hood)!  Sun visor slipping out of the clip about 100 times and swinging into
>my face.
>Leaves are just past peak color covering the road and blowing up behind me.
>Ahhhhhhhhhh....ain't life grand?????
>Gary

I did the same in the foothills of North Carolina.  The weather
was sunny and temperature from the 70s below the mountains to
60s up a little ways.  The wife and I were tooling up the Saluda
grade from Tryon to Saluda on 176.  That is a great little road,
mostly two-lane with a passing lane opening up on most of the
many switchbacks.  At one point, as I was waiting for a passing
lane to get around a lumbering US car, I saw a Porsche appear in
my rear view window.  Then, from around the corner there appeared
four more, all late 60s models I think.  After I got around the
guy in front of me, all five of the Porsches passed him too, and
the first one tried to keep going around me.  I just couldn't
let that happen without some fun so I accelerated, though I
stayed in the right lane and didn't block them.  But I knew that
if they didn't get around me soon, they would lose the passing
lane.  I beat them to the next two-lane segment and managed to
stay in front of them for several more passing stretches.  The
whole thing was just a few miles, I never got out of third gear,
and our speeds were around 35 or 40 at the most, but with near
180 degree turns, it was a blast!  Saluda is a neat little town
that attracts lots of folks interested in crafts.  They were
having some kind of town festival with lots of balloons and fire
truck rides for the kids.  And I lead those five Porsches through
the center of town in my TR6!  What a great day.

--
Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC