Re: Triumph trailer hitches

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph trailer hitches
From: "Rod MacLeod" <macleodr@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:13:24 -0300
> Does any body have any info on such a beast?  I would prefer a hitch which
> is almost entirely hidden if possible but I'll check out all possible
> avenues -

I am not familiar with the spitfire frame but I had one made for my tr6. I
used the 5/8" x 2" flat bar type reciever so I could mount it up tighter and
farther under. I had the bar bent around the rear pan and  turned up higher
to raise the tougue height. I found the frame is very thin and as Randall
said be sure to use flat bar to distribute the load or an angle to go around
the  frame and a flat bar inside. I had it made at a welding shop for
$110.00 cad( about $10.00 US and bolted it on myself)

Mine was made to carry bicycles rather than a trailer after my clamp on the
bumper type carrier from a VW bug failed after hitting a hump in the road
sending the bikes up in the air and back down on the trunk and then dragging
them down the highway at 100 km per hour.

Regards
Rod MacLeod