RE: Diagnosing engine grinding/growling noise, water pump questionsTR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Diagnosing engine grinding/growling noise, water pump questionsTR4A
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:30:50 -0700
> Questions:
> 1. Where are list archives currently stored?

At the moment, there are (AFAIK) no searchable archives.  I believe you can
ask Majordomo for the digests, but only by date.  ISTR MJB mentioned the
possibility of doing a searchable archive himself (since ListQuest seems to
be dying/dead), if the response from the current funds drive was adequate to
buy a new server.

> 2. Is it possible to remove the pulley w/ the aftermarket-pump on the car?

Some aftermarket pumps have the pulley pressed onto the shaft, but there
wouldn't likely be a nut in that case.  Even stock pulleys may require a
good deal of force to remove, if they've been on for awhile.  (Broke one
just a few months back, trying to get it off with a 2-leg gear puller.)
Best bet is a "bearing separator" type puller, and a small, disposable
socket to fit over the threaded portion and bear on the end of the shaft
inside the pulley bore.  I didn't try it on the car, but I see no reason it
shouldn't work.

> 3. Any hints on getting the fan belt between the structural member and
>    the fan extension?
>      Turning the steering wheel didn't seem to help.

It won't on a TR4/A, unlike the earlier cars the rack should not move when
the wheel is turned.

>  We tried jacking up
>      the engine (board between oil-pan & scissors jack), but the clearance
>      didn't seem to increase.  Maybe I should have put the jack closer to
>      the front of the oil pan and been a little more aggressive?

If your problem is really between the extension and the crossmember, then
jacking the engine up will only make the problem worse.  If it is between
the rack and the extension, then yes, just be a little more aggressive.  The
motor mounts should be plenty strong enough to lift the car off the ground,
if not then they were due for replacement anyway.

>      Is it unwise to unbolt the fan extension?

No comment.  However, I will mention that there is a cogged belt available
from NAPA stores (Thanks, Fred) that is quite a bit thinner and more
flexible than the one sold by Moss, et al; making it much easier to install.

Randall