Spitfire sunroof, and acid bugs???

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire sunroof, and acid bugs???
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:45:30 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I did a search for car covers on the net and while perusing some of the
choices I came across this from J.C. Whitney (go figure): (SKU) 78ZX7651PF
'63-80 Triumph Spitfire 15" x 30" Glass Sunroof  Each  149.95
Hummm. . .wonder how hard it makes folding the top after installation. . .
By the way, I noticed that on my just installed windscreen I had what
appeared to be a bug splat.  No big deal, just clean it off right.  Would
not come off and upon further examination, with magnification cause I
couldn't believe it myself, the glass was actually etched.  This is
definitely something encountered while at speed, classic shape of a
teardrop, round in front with feathered trailing edge about 1/2 inch wide
an 2 inches long just above my field of vision of course.  Its not really
bad, but noticeable.  I just can't see what would have caused this.  Acid
bugs??  Anybody else come across this.  Never had something like this
happen in almost thirty years of driving.   Chips, rocks, cracks,
delamination, yes but this. . .got me stumped - I'll have to polish the
thing out, and naturally just a few months AFTER I installed the bloody
thing!!  I guess I should just be thankful it didn't hit the paint :-)