Re: Jiffy-Lube and Triumphs?

To: "Richard R Olson" <Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jiffy-Lube and Triumphs?
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:45:39 -0400
Regardless of the Triumph driver's distress, I can tell you from bitter
experience he'll be better off not taking his car to J-Lube.

Last year, prior to a weekend trip in my TR6, I decided that I had put off
changing the tranny and diff oil too long, but didn't have time to renew it
myself.  So Brainiac takes the car to Jiffy Lube, presuming to beat the
Triumph Maintenance God at his own game.  (Ha!)

The grease monkey at Jiffy Lube, after some head scratching, empties and
refills the aforementioned gearboxes.  I presume he's filling them up to the
level of the drain plugs.  This is Brainiac's dumb move #2.

Two days later, on the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah, I notice my car is
seriously dripping gear oil.  This is later determined to be the case
because the tranny and diff have been COMPLETELY filled with oil, and it's
leaking out the diff seals when hot.

Whee!
===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)
Arlington, VA

"She's got a carburetor tied to the moon."