RE: Another Thing About Trunnions

Subject: RE: Another Thing About Trunnions
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:58:41 -0700
> My question is, are the threads for the bolt which secures the
> steering stop different from one side to the other also?

No, they're both just normal right-hand threads.  1/4-28 NF if memory
serves.

> I was just
> working on the right side vertical link, and I can't get the bolt to
> loosen.  I can rotate the bolt for just about 1/4 turn but then it
> tightens up again.  At that point I stopped trying, 'cuz I don't want
> to strip the threads!  I reversed the ratchet and very carefully
> rotated the bolt in the other direction to see if it would loosen up
> (thinking that the threads might be reversed) but again, I can only
> turn it 1/4 turn and then it stops.

Most likely, the threads are already damaged, but, continue working it back
and forth and see if you can work it a little farther each time.  The
steering stop isn't all that critical, but given what happens if the
trunnion threads fail, I sure would want to see what's in there.  If
everything else is fine, just the stop threads are shot, you can use a
Heli-coil ...

Randall