RE: VIN number

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: VIN number
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:54:19 -0700 . com>
> A month later I got the title in the mail and it says the exact
> same number
> (that doesn't match any number on the car), and the car is now a TR6
> Renault.  What is this darn title for anyway???  God help the next owner
> cause I'm not going through that again anytime soon!!

Ed :

Well, I learned a very good reason for getting it fixed recently.  Your
insurance company will also want to inspect the car, and record the "VIN".
The CA ins cos are starting to send information to the state electronically,
and if the ins co's VIN doesn't match the state's VIN, you can't renew your
registration without having to get a separate piece of paper, and stand in
line at the DMV, hoping the clerk doesn't notice the numbers don't match.

I don't know how many ins co's are doing this now, but I believe the state
has said they have to all be doing it in a few years.

However, I had no trouble getting my TR3A fixed, just drove to the DMV,
waited in line, filled out some paperwork, waited in another line, and
opened the hood to show the officer the number plate.  Got the new
registration on the spot, and the new title in the mail about a month later.
Took most of an afternoon, but now hopefully I'm done standing in line at
the DMV.

Randall