Re: PI TR6 on ebay - extra gauge?

To: jays@paonline.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PI TR6 on ebay - extra gauge?
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:53:23 +1100 FILETIME=[35945EB0:01C161B7]
Jay Snavely wrote:

>That is a good question.  I looked at the pictures of PI's in Piggot >and
>drawings in the TRF catalogs.  They all show a dash dimmer switch >in this
>location.  I could not get enough magnification on the E-bay >pictures to
>see what it is.  Also, all the pictures of pre -1972 >dashes show gauges
>with the needles pointing down.  Looks like the >wrong gauges in the car.
>Has anyone else seen incorrect items on this >vehicle?
>
>Maybe the listers on the other side of the pond can shed some light on
> >this.

Well, I'm on the other side of the other pond, but I'll give it a go...

The car's interior seems to be close to 72' export spec. It includes the
brake warning light and hazard switch between the speedo and tach, which was
correct on export TR250s/5s and early export TR6s.

The mysterious centre gauge sits where the rheostat switch should be, so I'm
guessing the rheostat switch was moved elsewhere. Also the gauge seems to
have a fully exposed needle coming from the bottom, which is incorrect for
even a later TR6, so I'm guessing its a aftermarket guage of some sort.

This car's interior shares a bit with the TR5 export spec interior rather
than a CP series TR6's- it has the round gearknob without the shifting
pattern written on it and it has the switch arrangement I mentioned.

Its hard to see but the glovebox lock should be matt black on this car.

No head-rests on this car, which is not unusual for a non-U.S. car.

I can't say much more than that, but overall it looks quite original.

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4 (hoping for a TR6 PI stablemate...)
Sydney, Australia