Re: water by pass

To: twakeman@cruzers.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water by pass
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:30:45 EST
In a message dated 12/13/2001 10:21:59 PM Mountain Standard Time,
twakeman@cruzers.com writes:

> Never occured to you to wonder why the factory went to all the trouble to
> design and build in this useless bypass of the radiator?
>
> Plug the pypass and very little coolent flows inside the engine & head
> until the thermostat opens.
>
> Since heat cannot be quickly conducted away from the cylinders, hot spots
> develop. These can be hot

Anyone know how this story is substantiated?  The factory connection ?  I'd
never heard it till lately, but I've only been fooling with the 4 cyl since
64. The early TR2 had a problem keeping an intact head gasket that was
supposedly a factory problem fixed in the early day. I seem to remember all
the steam logic being developed . piece by piece, pretty much right on this
list.  Sort of a leg bone is connected to the hip bone sort of story.  I
particularly like the part about the steam and the T-stat. I guess the next
logical step is that the steam gets into the radiator and sprays unwary
pedestrians.   Any other early marques have a similar bypass? I'd guess any
good  physicist interested in thermal dynamics would lay this story low.