Re: water by pass

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: water by pass
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 01 21:21:02 -0800
>I did this (blocked it, with a hunk of broom stick) years ago just 'cause Bob
>Schaller said so... at that time I don't think the skirted tstats were
>available.

>I've never had an overheating problem, proving:  exactly nothing.

Never occured to you to wonder why the factory went to all the trouble to
design and build in this useless bypass of the radiator?

Plug the pypass and very little coolent flows inside the engine & head
until the thermostat opens.

Since heat cannot be quickly conducted away from the cylinders, hot spots
develop. These can be hot enough to cause local boiling of the coolant
into steam. The steam forces coolant back away from the hot spots letting
them get even hotter.

The steam can force the coolant out of the head and reach into the
thermostat housing where it quickly heats the thermostat. The super hot
steam forces the thermostat to open immediately, allowing the steam to
pass into the cold coolant of the upper hose where it rapidly condenses.

The now wide open thermostat allows cold coolant in the radiator to be
rapidly pumped into the engine with consequent rapid cooling of the head
and block. This commonly causes a cracked head and occasionally a cracked
block.

Even if the coolant does not get hot enough to force steam into the
thermostat housing there will be local hot spots within the head that
causes uneven metal expansion followed by rapid cooling then the
thermostat opens. This will also cause head cracks over time.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937