Re: TR4 Ignition Problem - Help!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Ignition Problem - Help!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:00:54 -0000
Hi Paul
They always pick the best place to die don't they, maximum risk, coupled to
maximum embarrassment!
This is not an uncommon problem for us here in the UK, there are a couple of
sources for the rotors and caps, if both bits are not from the same
manufacturer, they either do what you had or miss by too much and cause poor
running. I have only had the miss once out of the hundreds of caps and arms
I must have changed, likewise I have only had the crashing a couple of times
before getting wise to the problem, mine was immediately evident by the cap
oscillating on the distributor body!
I would suggest you thoroughly clean the distributor out as the shavings may
well short things to earth. Also the little wire from the connection on the
side to the points can fail, either by snapping or loss of insulation, for a
temporary repair you can solder a piece of ordinary light gauge wire in but
you really need the same type with the pliable cloth insulation.

Graham.