Re: Factory radios (up to 1972)

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Factory radios (up to 1972)
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:05:58 +1100 FILETIME=[1E064620:01C1A3AA]
John Macartney wrote:

>Rest of World Medium and Short wave combo units, manual tune. Never
>seen these either - annd wouldn't want one if I did. They were a **d
>to tune to a strong signal.

>To my certain knowledge, no factory fitted radios up to 1972 ever had
>Triumph branding.

There was a Triumph radio offered recently on Australia EBay, check it out
at:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1689062853&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1011613047&indexURL=0&rd=1

It was fully transistorised and clearly has the Triumph name, but is +ve or
-ve earth opening the possibility that it was for a +ve earth (i.e. earlier)
Triumph. Do you know if this is this a later style radio, or is it correct
for a TR4 era Triumph?

I have seen 1 other radio near identical to the one on Ebay fitted to a car
(only the two knobs seem to differ), it was fitted to David Clarke's
concours TR5 here in Sydney. A blurred picture of it can be found at the
bottom of the page at:

http://www.stormpages.com/tsoa2001/Page3.htm

BTW many thanks for all the info on radios, its an interesting area of our
cars' history.

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4 no radio :(