Re: Factory radios (up to 1972)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Factory radios (up to 1972)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:42:37 EST
In a message dated 1/22/2002 9:38:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
geohahn@theriver.com writes:

> Presumably original though perhaps dealer installed.  ISTR reading somewhere
> that  instead of the "Triumph-Triumph" the home
> market versions were "Standard-Triumph".

Perhaps, but the radio you show IS the "typical" Bendix set installed by many
dealers in the US. This particular one, assuming all is original, is probably
from the mid-1960s, as the slightly earlier ones (maybe 1963 and before,
approximately) often had "chromed" plastic on/off and tuning knobs.

> This is the speaker:

Similarly, that's the typical speaker and housing used in the US dealer
installations.

> Can someone tell me where this speaker might have been mounted?  The car
> came with the speaker/bracket just held under the
> dash with baling wire.  As both the speaker and radio are Bendix it seems
> likely it too is original.

As, quite possibly, is that "unique" method of mounting. ;-)

Dad didn't spring for a radio when he bought his Herald 1200 new in early
1964. But five years later when I bought my own first Herald 1200 (a later
1964 model), I was thrilled to see that the car I found had the
dealer-installed (and I use both terms loosely -- more in a second) Bendix
radio. Considering the dealer that had sold "my" car new, it was not too
surprising that, although they did use the appropriate under-dash mounting
plate for a Herald, they suspended the rear of the radio with a piece of
"plumber's tape." And it REALLY didn't surprise me to see how they mounted
the speaker: it was hung off the bottom of the pressboard glovebox. Guess how
long a cardboard glovebox lasts after a few passengers have accidentally
brushed legs against a fairly sturdy metal speaker surround suspended from sa
id cardboard?

Like I said, you had to have known the particular dealer to full appreciate
this. At least they knew roughly where to put the same speaker in a Spitfire
installation (which was on the inside of the RH side "scuttle" or "'A' post
and sill reinforcment" assembly).

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.