Re: '71 GT-6 Mk.3 Body Panel Replacement

To: <bjordan@scn.spawar.navy.mil>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '71 GT-6 Mk.3 Body Panel Replacement
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:59:25 EST
Cc: <rbjordan55@hotmail.com>
In a message dated Fri, 1 Feb 2002  2:58:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Jordan,
Bruce" <bjordan@scn.spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> List,
>     I'm replacing the driver's side rocker panel on a '71 GT-6 Mk.3.  I
> have the body shell removed from the chassis frame (stripped out, w/o doors,
> w/o back hatch), suspended on a wooden work support.  My question:  Is the
> GT-6 body shell, in this configuration, rigid enough that it is safe to cut
> off the old rocker panel, weld on the new panel, and still expect the body
> shell to go back on the chassis frame with correct body alignment (all the
> bolt holes line up)?

I'd suggest at least remounting and aligning the door. You *MIGHT* get away
without that *IF* it is only the outer skin of the rocker panel and *NOT* also
the intermediate stiffener or inner rocker panel...but I wouldn't risk it.

Those sills provide an awfully large percentage of the overall body stiffness.

--Andy Mace