RE: Valve Bounce

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve Bounce
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:10:52 -0800
Bud, although I'm sure it makes a racket, I've never been able to hear it
over the general engine noise.  Main thing is lack of power, which comes on
rather more suddenly than just lack of breathing.  No backfire or miss
(although a high speed miss is also hard to detect).  Sometimes the only
indication is burnt exhaust valves after an extended high-speed run <g>

For the TRactor motor, the problem is supposedly not lack of spring
pressure, but rather that the springs reach a resonant frequency.  BFE sells
'interference' double springs that are supposed to cure the problem.  Poorly
cut aftermarket cams can also be a problem, but I assume there aren't any
around for TRs anymore.

Randall