Re: Valve Bounce

To: <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>, <levilevi@attbi.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Bounce
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:34:07 -0600
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>

>If the engine in question is a interference type, the valves can hit the
>pistons.  Most but not all timing belt equipped engines are clearance
motors
>that will allow a valve to remain fully open without contacting the piston
at
>TDC.

Maybe not the piston, but what about other valves.  Most four-valve heads
have valves that will hit each other if something goes awry.  Many
single-cam two-valve designs will have the valves hit the pistons, such as
the first FWD Escort (ask me how I know this).

My Saturn is a four-valve design, but uses a proper chain.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org