TR6 Cracked Rotor AGAIN!!

Subject: TR6 Cracked Rotor AGAIN!!
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 15:17:56 -0800
Geez.  This is getting ridiculous, guys!  I got everything buttoned
up again today and then cautiously went out for a drive.  Everything
was working great, with no indication of any problems.  Then suddenly
and without warning, the engine faltered and died.  Attempts to
restart only resulted in sporadic firing, but the engine never would
start up and run normally.  I pulled the coil wire off and situated
it near a ground, turned the key and watched lots of sparks going
from coil wire to ground.  Right away this was looking like the same
problem I was having last week.  Power to the coil, the coil
(apparently) working normally, but nothing getting around to the
spark plugs.  So, I pulled the rotor off and guess what?  This brand
new rotor, with a total of no more than 45 minutes of running time on
it, is cracked!  And I checked it out thoroughly before installing it
so I know it was good before.  Once again the crack runs from
underneath the blade right down to the base of the rotor.  It's a
very, very fine crack.  I walked two blocks down to an auto parts
store hoping that they would, by some freak of fate, have a TR6 rotor
on the shelf somewhere.  Of course, that was a pipe dream.  So, I
called the tow truck again!  (I have towing insurance.  At least
today I do.  Maybe when State Farm gets this bill, they'll want to
cancel my towing insurance, since I just used it one month ago!)

The guy at the auto parts store made the suggestion, and it's the
only thing that makes any sense to me, that perhaps the dizzy
bushings are worn to the extent that they are allowing the rotor to
collide with the cap terminals inside.  This wouldn't surprise me
since even though I did rebuild the engine 13 years ago I have never
rebuilt the distributor, and it probably has at least 200,000 miles
on it.  Does this make sense to anyone else?  Is there any other
feasible reason why I would be cracking rotors?

I would expect that re-bushing the dizzy wouldn't be too difficult.
Anyone have any input about that?

Thanks again!

--
Pete Chadwell