Re: TR4 White

To: <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 White
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:23:48 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael Gajic wrote:
>Your TR4 should have
>New White, but it is possible that the factory used some Spa White
they had
>lying around . . .

Absolutely no offence intended or I hope taken - but sometimes I
really have a chuckle when I read some of the posts about how the cars
might have been made. A few weeks ago, I spent an entertaining
Saturday afternoon interviewing one of the paint shop foremen.
Herewith extracts from my notes.
The paint pumping room was two floors below the paint shop itself, the
system required about 300 gallons (i.e. six x 50 gallon barrels) to
get pressurised and the minimum number of bodies to be painted in the
same colour was 50. As an aside, the only exception to this rule was
Black (a mostly non-standard colour) and this was only done on Friday
afternoons. At colour changeover, the system was held pressurised with
the guns closed while the paintbooth conveyors cleared the booths and
first stage of the high bake ovens of vehicle bodies. As this was
being done, the new colour barrels were hooked in to the system. New
colour barrels were locally pressurised and air expelled and only then
was the hydraulic effect of the new colour pushing out the old colour
into an empty paint booth allowed to proceed. Generally, there were
about four colour changes a day and by the end of each week, the build
up of sprayed paint in the booths required a whole weekend to chisel
out before normal working started again on a Monday. Sorry, Michael -
the flowlines of 40 years ago didn't easily adapt to dealing with
things "that happened to be lying around looking for a home"
especially if its paint <smile> Modern ones may well be an
improvement?

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI, TED 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20