Re: More about TR6 rotors and caps

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More about TR6 rotors and caps
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 09:41:25 -0700
Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> ...Well, I think 'crack the cap' is a bit of an exaggeration.  The
> 'chipping' I refer to is very, very minor.  Regardless, your point
> still stands, as it is clear that the rotor HAS been contacting the
> terminals, even if only lightly....
>
> ...This distributor is SHOT.

Why not pull the dizzy out and get a good look and listen at things?  I should
think you could hear and feel any such contact by simply turning the shaft --
should only feel the resistance of the cam on the points and at speed the only
sound should be a slight click from the points.

This would also be the time to assess any wobble that might cause contact to
occur only at speed.

ISTR that you have replaced both the cap and the rotor in this process.  You
could at least mix and match the caps and rotors to see if there is one
combination that is better or worse or even okay.

Geo Hahn