RE: TR4 Transmission Circlip Removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Transmission Circlip Removal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:25:24 -0800
Mike :

Get 3 cheap flat blade screwdrivers, grind as necessary so they will fit
into the slots in the mainshaft.  Pick the 3 slots that the thrust washer
does not protrude into, and tap the screwdrivers into place.  Then squeeze
the handles together and lift off the screwdrivers with the circlip.  Note
that you _must_ replace the circlip after this operation, even if it looks
fine.  I'd suggest buying several of them, in case you have to repeat the
operation for some reason.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a close-up or a description of
the business end of the later Churchill tool, for the TR6 where the thrust
washer protrudes into all 6 slots ?

Randall