Re: dumb really dumb

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: dumb really dumb
From: Todd Richmond <twr@hpestwr.fc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 09:41:15 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> T/R3 owners know of this only too well, it is sometimes a little annoying
> installing the parking lights in the grill, first insert the clear lense, with
> a dental pick lift the rubber gasket around it then repeat the process again
> for the chrome ring that holds them together, this is "WRONG", 1st you install
> the @#$%$ bulb, I'll get back to it tomorrow certainly not today.  "FT"

When I got married to my sweetheart back in 1993, we were both poor, starving,
college students living in Utah.  My car at the time (1986 Subaru) was in need
of a transmission rebuild so that we could make the trip to Virgina for the
reception with my parents, and then all the way back to California for the
reception at her folks, and then back to Utah.  (Yeah, looking back now, I
don't know WHAT we were thinking!).  Well, I finished the rebuild the evening
before the wedding (after which my sister-in-law spent over an hour giving me a
manicure to get the grease out of my nails).  After driving the car for about a
mile, I decided the car was working good enough to make the trip (I figured I
would bring my tools and fix it on the spot if it had any problems!).

Anyway, to make a long story short, a day or two after the wedding we were
cruising along I-80 on our way to VA when all of a sudden it hit me like a ton
of bricks -- I HAD FORGOTTEN TO TURN UP THE RETAINING FLANGES ON THE BOLT AT
THE END OF THE MAINSHAFT THAT HOLDS THE WHOLE 4WD PORTION TOGETHER!!!  I had
this really sick feeling in my gut, and at our next stop I consulted with my
dad who was caravaning with us.  He said, "Aw, don't worry about it.  It's not
gonna come off".  Well, I wasn't so sure.  I think I was praying all the whole
way to VA, then to CA, and then back home.  Sure enough, Dad was right.  It
didn't come off . . . until I had been back in Utah one day and sitting in
traffic!  I heard this loud clunk, and then a bunch of rattling, and I thought
amusedly to myself "Hmmmm.  I bet I know what that is!"

Todd Richmond
1959 TR3A