Perpetuating The Mystique

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Subject: Perpetuating The Mystique
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:04:42 -0500
Message text written by Pete & Aprille Chadwell
>My dad coined the phrase 'perpetuating the mystique' after listening
>to people describe the difficulty of performing certain repairs or
>maintenance chores on, in particular, British cars when in actuality
>(based on his own personal experience) the operations in question
>were really not very difficult and certainly were not based in rocket
>science or black magic.
<snip>

>So what?  Well, I'm trying to make a decision about my TR6's
>distributor and I'm getting some conflicting input about the
>difficulty of rebuilding a distributor.

Pete, there's another phenomenon that you overlook.  Learning curve.  Most
things in life are easy to do but hard to do well.  If you are willing to
try it and if you find out that it doesn't work quite right, try it again,
(and again) then go for it.  But if you just want it done right and right
the first time, let somebody qho has already worked his way up the learning
curve have a go.

But it could be an educational experience.

Dave