Re: History Channel Sports Cars

To: Mark.Evans@anheuser-busch.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: History Channel Sports Cars
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:39:44 EST
In a message dated 07-Feb-02 15:13:11 Eastern Standard Time,
Mark.Evans@anheuser-busch.com writes:

> I missed the first 15 minutes of the History Channel Sports Cars Modern
> Marvels
> episode last night. Bad weather and a long drive home from work...
>
> Was there actually a Triumph in the show?
>
> The last 45 minutes was a good cursory review of many other sports cars but
> never saw or heard the name Triumph. I heard them mention British once and
> MG
> once when describing the emergence of the Miata.
>
> Was Triumph mentioned in the first 15 minutes?
>
> I was a bit disappointed...

You missed the TR section.  It was early on, right after the MGTC and showed
a TR2.   They made the point that the MG and TR were the first Brit sports
cars to be sold enmasse after WWII.  Because of their sucess, the other
manufacturers saw a US market for sports cars.  The show then went into the
other marques and, you're right, concentrated mostly on the "high end" stuff.
 But I thought that the show was still a success.

Interesting note about the Miata. I test drove one in '89 when they first
came out.  My wife and I had the comment "Nice car, but more like an MG than
a Triumph."  It wasn't until later that I found out that Mazda had patterned
it on the MG.

Art Kelly