TR6 Distributor Shaft/Dog Pin

Subject: TR6 Distributor Shaft/Dog Pin
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:18:20 -0800
Seems like one frustration after the other.  I am not able to remove
the bloody pin which locates and secures the drive dog around the
base of the distributor shaft.  Using a pin punch, I have tried to
drive the pin out in either direction.  I can actually move the pin
to and fro within the diameter of the dog, but the pin appears
'trapped' within the dog.  Could it be that the openings on either
side of the dog were closed in slightly with a punch after the pin
was installed?  This would explain why I'm unable to remove the pin,
but In the descriptions I've read about dismantling the distributor,
I've seen no mention of having to open those holes up to allow the
pin to emerge, nor have I seen any indication that anyone else has
encountered similar difficulties in removing the blasted pin.

Can anyone confirm this and/or offer any suggestions as to how to
remove this stupid #*$!!*# pin?  I may get out my drill and drill
into one opening to see if I can relieve it enough to allow the pin
to pass through, however, in doing so I can see that I may damage the
pin, so I'm not sure yet whether I want to do this or not.

Again, the pin does appear to be loose within the dog, as I can move
it a few millimeters in either direction without much effort.  But
once the end of the pin becomes flush with the dog's outer surface,
it will no longer budge.

As always, many thanks!

--
Pete Chadwell