Re: Stainless Brake Pistons

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless Brake Pistons
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:00:35 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott Tilton wrote:

> Quick question on Brake pistons:
>
> I would assume that any amount of tiny pitting or rust is cause for a
>rejection
> of an used brake piston.  Is this correct?

No.  For the cylinder itself, that would be true (If it can't be honed or
sleeved.  But the piston doesn't really contact the cylinder but serves as
an housing for attaching the cups that do contact the cylinder walls.  So as
long as the piston does not bind up and still seals the cup and/or
O-rings, it will still work regardless of pitting.

> Secondly:  Didn't I see someone on this list saying bad things about Stainless
> pistons?  They said their chrome plated ones lasted forever and their
>stainless
> set gave out?
>
> How does a stainless set go bad?

Don't have any experience with those items so I can't say!

JOe