RE: Stainless Brake Pistons

Subject: RE: Stainless Brake Pistons
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:54:45 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Joe Curry wrote :

> But the piston doesn't really contact the
> cylinder but serves as
> an housing for attaching the cups that do contact the cylinder
> walls.  So as long as the piston does not bind up and still seals
> the cup and/or
> O-rings, it will still work regardless of pitting.

We need to be clear here about whether we're talking about front disc brake
caliper pistons, or drum brake pistons.

For disc brakes, the seal is mounted in the caliper body, and rides on the
sides of the piston.  Any pitting or corrosion in this area will cause leaks
and rapid seal wear.

For drum brakes, the seal mounts on the piston and rides against the
cylinder body.  As Joe said, pitting or corrosion on the piston is
irrelevant, as long as it doesn't make it bind against the cylinder.  But
the cylinder surface needs to be in good shape.

AFAIK, SS pistons are only available for disc brake calipers.  Haven't tried
them myself, IMO using DOT-5 obviates any need.

Randall