Re: Stainless Brake Pistons

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless Brake Pistons
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:49:52 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott Tilton wrote:

> Quick question on Brake pistons:
>
> I would assume that any amount of tiny pitting or rust is cause for a
>rejection
> of an used brake piston.  Is this correct?
>
> Secondly:  Didn't I see someone on this list saying bad things about Stainless
> pistons?  They said their chrome plated ones lasted forever and their
>stainless
> set gave out?
>
> How does a stainless set go bad?

Personal experience -- I bought new stock pistons for my race car from one of
the
big three. At the end of the first season, six races, the chrome was flaking off
and the exposed steel was corroding. I replaced them with stainless pistons and
they are still fine after another five years and 35 race weekends or so.

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue