Help! Massey Ferguson/early TR questions

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! Massey Ferguson/early TR questions
From: "Worthy, John J" <John.Worthy@team.telstra.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:10:58 +1100
Listers

I have a M/F TEA20 circa 1952.  Last week I had the head refurbished and
installed it this weekend.  Now the little beast doesn't want to go.  I
can't see any spark coming from the HT wire out of the coil yet there is
voltage to the coil when the ignition is switched on (multimeter reading to
the +ve side of the coil and the block).  The points are at the right gap
and merrily open and close.  I didn't alter the timing and all plug leads
are on the right one plugs.  I'm stumped.  Plenty of petrol and all that.

Also, there is one other question.  The workshop manual is light on detail
about how to set the valve clearances other than specifiying the actual gap.
Do you set, say, No. 8 with No. 1 valve depressed and No. 7 with No. 2
depressed, etc?

I understand the M/F motor is similar to the early Triumphs so all
suggestions appreciated.

John
1972 TR6 Pi
1952 Massey Ferguson