Help! Massey Ferguson/early TR questions

To: "Worthy, John J" <John.Worthy@team.telstra.com>
Subject: Help! Massey Ferguson/early TR questions
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:59:47 -0500
Cc: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Worthy, John J"
>I have a M/F TEA20 circa 1952.  Last week I had the head refurbished and
>installed it this weekend.  Now the little beast doesn't want to go.  I
>can't see any spark coming from the HT wire out of the coil yet there is
>voltage to the coil when the ignition is switched on (multimeter reading
>the +ve side of the coil and the block).  The points are at the right gap
>and merrily open and close.  I didn't alter the timing and all plug leads
>are on the right one plugs.  I'm stumped.  Plenty of petrol and all that.

John,

Has the tractor sat for a while?  If so it is just possible that the points
have a thin layer of corrosion on them preventing currnet flow necessary
for porper coil operation.  A little sanding with a point file or emory
board should resolve this problem.

>Also, there is one other question.  The workshop manual is light on detail
>about how to set the valve clearances other than specifiying the actual
gap.
>Do you set, say, No. 8 with No. 1 valve depressed and No. 7 with No. 2
>depressed, etc?

Indeed.  This is the rule of 9.  The rule of 13 works on the six cylinder
Triumphs.  Michael Ferguson and I designed it that way.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6