Re: HELP

To: "Phil Smith" <philip.smith25@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HELP
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:10:04 -0000 g1GCDXN22039
From: Phil Smith <philip.smith25@verizon.net>

> I keep looking at the Toyota MR2. I know it's not healthy to do so, but I just
> can't help myself ! Although upon looking up the specs, I see that it has no
> horsepower. Has anyone actually driven one?

Hi Phil,
    I had a 1989 Mk1 T-bar as daily transport for about 18 months, 1997-98,
covered a little over 30,000 miles. This is the only non-classic (debate
amongst yourselves whether an MR2 is or isn't a future classic) I've ever owned
and it was absolutely fantastic fun! Very quick, at least relative to anyone
who drives an LBC of any flavour with handling to match the best. Parts were
reasonably priced until it came to shock absorbers! Very reliable too but the
headlights were amongst the worst on any car I've driven. Towards the end, the
T-bar started to leak - that really made me feel at home! Cambelt changes are
essential as is keeping the correct fluid in the cooling system - NOT water!
    The car was sold while I retained a driving licence and was replaced with a
1973 MkIV Spitfire, alas also gone now. I would sooner have another MR2 than
another MkIV, though I'm not sure I'd feel the same if the alternative was a
MkIII......
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--