vacuum no more - Wow!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: vacuum no more - Wow!
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:23:51 -0500
Those remembering the 'rotary vibration'
problem with Whitey.....    tranny pulled
and reworked ...twice!  New water pump, GM
alternator conversion, new flattop pistons
and custom gapped 010 rings.

First... the 'odd' news...  According to some calculation
web pages I've run across recently... my 150 psi
compression test pressures say its running 10.2:1 C.R. ????

Second tidbit... I yanked out my dist. vac adv hose completely.
I just finished testing both 'ported' vacuum advance, and manifold
driven vacuum control. (yes two different vac range pots)

But through the whole power band...the straight 'no vacuum attached'
runs the best. The dist was modified to give 26 degrees total
mechanical advance.  At an idle of 600 rpm (yes..smooth at 600)
I've got the timing at 11-14 degrees BTC.
It now pulls from a stoplight all the way through all gears to 4800 rpm
with no flat spots. When I blip the throttle it no longer wants to drop
below idles speeds before recovering. It now drops right to an
idle at 700-800 rpm.

BUT THAT DAMN ROTATING SUB-HARMONIC OF ENGINE SPEED
VIBRATION IS STILL THERE.     But now it's milder and from 2-2.4 krpm
and yes can be felt sitting still clutch in or out.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com