Re: TR3A heater/rheostat wiring answer

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Dan Masters" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A heater/rheostat wiring answer
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:48:21 -0500
Dan and Randall:  Maybe I can help.  I have a '62 TR3B dash with the wiring
harness still connected, and I believe it to be original and correct.  I've
owned the car since 1970 and when we took it apart about 15 years ago for
its still pending ground up restoration I left the wiring connected for
future reference.  I also have a low mileage '57 TR3 that we bought from the
original owner and there is no indication that any wiring changes have been
made to it.

On both cars there is an unfused black wire running from the heater rheostat
to the lug on the top right of the fuel gauge as you look at it from the
back (the lug nearest the rheostat).  Both cars have another wire on this
same lug, which goes into the wiring harness.  On the TR3B it is solid
green, on the TR3 it still has a covering on it and I can't see the color,
although I suspect it's green as well and probably goes back to the fuse
box.  The other lug on the fuel gauge has a green-black wire on the TR3B and
a covered wire on the TR3, I assume it's also green-black, and that both
probably go to the fuel tank senders.

There is no fuse between the rheostat and the fuel gauge nor between the
rheostat and the heater.  The other wire on the rheostat is about 6" long,
also black, with a bullet connector to connect to the wire leaving the
heater itself.  If need be, feel free to send Fred down for a personal
inspection :-)  .

Regards, Don