RE: LBC history, and little riverboat history http://netwinsite.com/top_

To: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>, "'Phil Ethier'" <pethier@isd.net>, Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: LBC history, and little riverboat history http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:50:43 GMT
I think it is time for us to look for a riverboat mailing list now.

>Actually the Delta King is moored dockside at Old Town Sacramento. And is
>now a hotel and posh restaurant. Even does a Mystery dinner theater type
>thing on occasion.

Cool.

>No more does it ply the river.

I don't think it has plied the river since before the war.  Both boats were
laid up when Captain Greene bought the Queen around 1946.  Pretty short life,
when you consider they were built around 1925.  Hull laid on the River Clyde
in Scotland, engines from Krupp in Germany, final assembly in Stockton.

>Very well preserved though

I imagine it still has the flat-front without the wedding-cake fordecks that
were added to the Queen.  Still probably has the copper cover over the
paddlewheel,
too.

>but I'm not at all certain that the running gear is still in place.

I think a lot of it is in the Delta Queen.  She ran through herself, as I
recall,
and the Delta King provided repair parts.

Phil Ethier