Re: Hood Protection/Oil Question

To: jfowler@mail.southeast.cc.nc.us, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hood Protection/Oil Question
From: AVALON2455@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:59:40 EST
Hi!

Since a GM warning bulletin, a few years back, I have never used 10-40 or
20-50 oils in my engines.  (Can't lay my hands on it at the moment, but I'll
send it to you when I run across it)  It warned that the additives which
allowed the higher viscosities also caused gumming behind the
rings..........Those engines were made for 30 or 10-30 wt oil, so that's what
I use and it should make your starting easier.....also can't imagine why
anyone would need 50 wt oil in an engine unless they were racing, in Arizona,
in the summer, without an additional oil cooler.  It gets Hot in NC.....but
not that hot, in my recollection.....pretty warm down in Myrtle Beach, SC

Also those Lucas starters for TR's are notorious for getting 'tired'......was
having a similar problem...put on a new starter.......zip....zip, and I'm
away now!

Clark