F & R Seal on TR 4 cyl. eng., SUMMARY!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: F & R Seal on TR 4 cyl. eng., SUMMARY!
From: ebk <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:17:15 -0500
Hi List!
    I 1st wish to thank everyone who reresponded to my question:
 > I'm at the point of installing the Felt Gasket into the Rear End
Bearing Cap. I know what the book states [of dipping felt
 > into gasket & pack into both groves. I did act on the last thread
[12/01] of purchasing more felt {which I did}.
 > Questions:
 > 1. Should the felt soak in the gasket shellec & installed as:
 >     a) ONE long felt,     OR!
 >     b) Cut-up into 1" lengthes?
 > 2. Is there a better way or a better product to use instead of the
gasket sleck?

 > Would ALL responces please be sent to me & I will send a sumary to
the list. I'm on TR Digest mode & I'm only 65
 > away from being caught-up to todays [2-17].     ;>)        TIA,
-Cosmo Kramer

1- I received mixed reports on this question. One person said to use the
felt as all one strip & another said to cut the felt into sections. It's
interesting because I have found two different written manuals with the
SAME mixed response, too.
    One person said to soak the felt in the gasket shellec & another
person said this could be done, but will only add to the mess. Also It
was noted that the thicker the gasket shellec is the harden it will be
to absorb into the felt. { No one mentioned about cutting the gasket
shellec with anything].  Instead the person would 'spread' the gasket
shellec onto the felt & then insert it into the engine.
2- No one responded that there could be or has done it a way other than
using the felt packing [All agreed to use the felt].

    To the person who asked for this report to be posted to the TR List
& also asked about tools to insert the felt into the engine:        I
used a 1/4" steel rod about 7" long & ground down one edge slightly so
it would fit inside the channel, I was told by a club member that a
small 'single bladed' screw-driver could be used, but make sure it's
long enough.
-Cosmo Kramer