RE: I Thought I was in love (finally an LBC question)

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: RE: I Thought I was in love (finally an LBC question)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:49:47 -0500
Cc: "'Randall Young '" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>Which brings up the fundamental question. Has anybody seen a electric
conversion for a TR? I have hit quite a few web-sites for E conversions.
The
DIY principles are quite simple for a rear-wheel drive. They simply put an
electric motor where the transmission used to be and drive the propeller
shaft directly. Piles of batteries (1200 lbs worth!)hidden all over the car
and "hey presto" you're electric!. Of course it's pretty pathetic compared
to a machine designed from scratch, but they seem to work.

Not proposing to ruin my TR, just interested to see if somebody had already
done the dirty deed.
<

About 10 - 15 years ago someone in California (where else?) converted a
Spitfire to electric.  The conversion cost about $15,000 (US) but the
resulting car actually performed a little better than the original.

I would think a TR7 would be a good candidate.  Lots of room and a light
shell to start with.  But the economy of scale isn't there yet.

Dave