RE: I Thought I was in love (finally an LBC question)

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: RE: I Thought I was in love (finally an LBC question)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:36:19 -0500
Cc: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "John Macartney"
>No. But once upon a time in 1967, a guy looking rather like "an absent
minded professor" turned up at the London showroom with a project he
thought the company would jump at. Nothing less than a Hydrostatic
1200 Herald saloon. He'd ditched the gearbox completely, had a
multiple plunger pump with swivelling swash-plate fixed to the
flywheel and an hydraulic motor on the diff nose.
Without doubt it was quite the fastest Herald I'd ever seen and was
alleged to do the same speed forwards and backwards. Perhaps needless
to say, the company wasn't too keen on the project. As I recall, the
pump increased its output in line with engine speed - but there was a
manual over-ride where you could get maximum output immediately. Just
tread fully on the throttle, shove the pump lever to full - and OFF
YOU WENT! It was the only Herald I ever saw where with a standard tune
engine it was possible to leave two black marks on a dry road and a
smell of hot rubber smoke. Not quite dragster style - but definitely
erring in that direction!
<

And the factory declined because...

;-)