RE: Accident Advice

To: "S Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Accident Advice
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:51:22 -0800
>       I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how I need to
> deal with this.

Sean, I've no experience with either of the companies you mention, but my
advice would be to start by taking the car to an independent body shop
(preferably 2 or 3) and getting a repair estimate.  This is an estimate to
return the car to the condition it was in before it was hit, _don't_ ask for
any extras at this point.  Be sure to discuss things like are they going to
replace the bonnet and bumper, and who they are going to buy the parts from.
Assuming the parts weren't new before, you are not entitled to new
replacement parts, but you are entitled to "like in type and kind".

Then write a letter to both insurance companies (IMO this step should be in
writing), listing all the relevant facts and the estimated repair costs.
Obviously, USAA should cover the repair, but you should still notify your
insurance carrier.  If you have comprehensive insurance, your carrier may
even subrogate your claim, meaning they pay you and then they go after the
other company.

Note that some companies will try to get you to have the car repaired at
their facility.  I believe by law they cannot force you to use their
facility (or refuse to pay the full amount at an independent), although
perhaps that's only true in California.

Randall