Re: TR-6 cam change

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 cam change
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 16:50:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:

> > Do we have archive access yet?
>
> No.
>
> > If you are changing the cam in a TR-6 . . do you have to remove the head?
> > (To get the followers out or whatever)
>
> It is theoretically possible without pulling the head, but you will need 12
> special tools to lift and support the lifters (without pulling them free of
> the bores).  ISTR Kas Kastner once mentioned making such tools, but I've
> never seen them for sale.  You would also need to be careful when removing
> the push rods, so that the suction does not pull the lifter out of it's
> bore.  I suppose a really classy tool would fit over the push rods and hold
> the lifter, but I don't think Kas' tool did that.

I just checked my saved mail from Kas, and he used a special set of
lifters for dyno work, so he could quickly replace camshafts. He
machined a groove in the inner diameter of the lifter and made a
grabbing tool which fit into the groove, then, after pulling up the
lifter, held the tool in place with a clothespin.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....