Re: (BRG) Paint Codes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (BRG) Paint Codes
From: "Daniel Shockey" <magnut_dan@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:19:26 FILETIME=[57049E80:01C1BE31]
Listers.

I had trouble recently finding color matches for TR3 and MGA paint. It seems
that the old enamel paint codes as listed in Moss's catalog and other places
are meaningless anymore to most suppliers. This appears to be due to changes
in the paint. They are also of no use for getting the newer urethane paints.
I wanted to get urethane because (1) it is much more resistant to chemicals
for the engine compartment, (2) it doesn't have to be rubbed out (for under
fender areas, etc) and (3) I can buy it even in California.

What I was able to do was order pints mixed to original formulas in
nitrocellulose lacquer from a company in Ohio. Then i can brush or spray
some of this onto a piece of primered metal and have something to take in
for a color match, once I am sure I like the color. This is also a good
source for touch-up paint. They will even put it into spray cans. I was
surprised that they are able to ship it to me in California.

They have given me good service on three orders now. Talk to Marvin Wolf at
William Wolf & Co. (216) 663-9653 or www.williamwolf.com.

Urethane does require a fresh-air mask. I was able to put together a system
inexpensively by buying a full-face mask with hose input on sale for $150 at
the Tool Warehouse. I then got a 110V air pump used for inflating rafts and
air mattresses. It was only $35 but may have a short life in this
application.

Good luck.

Dan Shockey
San Jose, CA