Re: A wondering TR3B

To: Divits@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A wondering TR3B
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:43:48 EST
>>Thanks for the info Ray. I will check it out this weekend. Do you know if
the Tie Rod work is something a novice can do at home?
How would one know if the tie rods and/or bushings would need to be replaced?
<<
John

>>check your bushings in the tie rod center link, tie rod ends may need
replaced; make sure there is oil in the steering box, an adjustment is
possible there as well. <<  Ray

I had a similar problem. My suggestion is to drive your vehicle to a shop
that does wheel alignment. I drove home a TR3 that I purchased a few years
ago about 65 miles! I was moving left and right but not straight!. All I
needed as it turned out was a proper alignment that cost 50 bux. All the
front end parts had been renewed already.
Lately I have purchased another TR3, the other having been sold at a
monstrous gain. <grin>.The current one had the play in the wheel and a
diagnosis similar to the one that I gave you. Yes you can do the replacement
of parts yourself, although certain bushings need to be pressed in at a
machine shop, but I recommend that you get the car to a shop that can
recognize any front end problems that need to be remedied before they attempt
the alignment. Most likely they will recommend  certain parts to be rebuilt
or replaced before the alignment can take place. My local shop charged me
just the $10 lift fee for the inspection which was much more than cursory.
Always best to have an expert look at your car. Be armed with a shop manual
that has a proper diagram so you will know what to order.

Ray Antoky.. Brooklyn NY
59 TR3A